March 9, 2011

Udon Noodles


I found this yummy looking Thai peanut sauce recipe today and it recommended serving over Udon Noodles. We certainly didn't have any, so I'm not sure what possessed me, but I decided to see if it was something I could make from scratch. Sure enough! It's pretty simple. I'd never made noodles before, and these turned out a bit thick and lumpy, but still delicious. ESPECIALLY with the Thai peanut sauce.Yummmmm. Between the 2 recipes, the total cost was $1.10 (it would cost about .20 more cents if you buy your flour from the grocery store instead of a club store - or obviously more if you added chicken). Mr. V and I were both stuffed. It easily should could have been 3 servings - 4 or 5 if chicken was added.

I don't really have a source as I compiled several how-tos after googling 'how to make udon noodles'.


Ingredients:

3 cups flour
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon salt

Equipment:

Mixing bowl with beater or bowl and floured hands
Floured surface
Santoku or other flat-bladed knife (I used a really sturdy bread-knife that worked well)
Large pot of boiling salted water


Directions:

  • Pour flour and salt into bowl and turn the mixer to low speed (about 2 on KitchenAid mixers)
  • Slowly trickle in the water while mixing.



  • Let mix for about 5 minutes, making sure the dough is tacky not sticky
  • Dump the dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap. 




  • Fold the plastic wrap over on top, and smooth the dough into a disk.
  • Let sit for several hours




  • Unwrap the disk onto a floured surface and roll out into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick




  • Fold the dough in half 





  • Cut into strips - approximately 5 strips per inch
  • Drop into boiling water, being careful to not overcrowd. 
  • Cook a few minutes before draining and serving




    Cost:


    flour 0.44
    salt 0.01

    0.45

    No comments:

    Post a Comment