March 12, 2011

Peanut Butter Eggs

This peanut butter egg recipe was featured on allrecipes.com the other day, and it brought back childhood memories of splurges where my mom would buy one or two HUGE peanut butter eggs for us all to share for Easter. I couldn't wait to recreate this special treat, so I went on the hunt a bit early for Easter Eggs to use as molds. These basket ball eggs were the only ones I could find in a smaller size:


While still good, I was a bit disappointed by this recipe. It just seemed way too overly sweet, but this could be partially due to my using sweetened peanut butter. Also, I saw in the reviews that the plastic eggs made great molds for the peanut butter shapes, and that after frozen, the peanut butter eggs would tap right out of the molds....not!!! The molds ended up being mostly a waste of time. Just shape the pb dough by hand, or maybe even make bigger eggs as seen below:



Ingredients: 


  • 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar - this ended up being around 3 un-sifted cups for me, but weigh if you can.
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 8 (1 ounce) squares semi-sweet chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Equipment:

Mixing Bowl w/ Beater attachment (I tried the whisk, but I think the beater would have creamed the butter & sugar better)



Directions:
  • Cream sugar, peanut butter, butter, milk and vanilla. (continue beating and adding drops of milk until the mixture is silky rather than lumpy)




  • Shape into small or large eggs and freeze for at least an hour





  • Dip in melted chocolate/butter mixture, or coat with the mixture if that's easier







Cost:



peanut butter 0.95
Sugar 1.25
Chocolate 1.25
Butter 0.41

3.86

2 comments:

  1. I think they turned out very cute! Maybe lining the plastic eggs with shortening or butter first or maybe a cooking spray?
    regardless, they look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! They look delicious. cooking spray would work great I think. But all in all, great job! I am gonna share this one :)

    ReplyDelete