March 9, 2011

Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls



I had decided to make Amish White Bread again, since we're out of bread. Ya'll almost missed out on a post! BUUUT I talked myself into trying something new and made Sweet Potato Rolls instead. These make a really soft, hearty roll. If you're expecting lots of flavor you'll be disappointed at first like I was. But these accompany flavorful foods well, and kick it up with a little depth of their own.

My main changes from the original recipe are: I doubled the recipe minus one egg (I'd run out) and I left the first rise for 3 hours instead of 1. Afterward the dough was falling over the sides of the bowl. I got so excited, I completely missed taking that picture.

We all really liked these dense fluffy rolls. In fact, I gorged myself so much that I was still full when I woke up this morning!

Ingredients:

2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup sweet potato puree (canned or homemade)
1 cup warm water, ~ 110 degrees F
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
2 teaspoons salt
4 eggs
7 cups all-purpose flour

Equipment:

Mixer with dough hook
9x13 pan


Directions:

  • Combine water, yeast, and 2 tablespoons sugar in the mixing bowl
  • Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT the flour and stir till well incorporated





  • Slowly incorporate flour until the dough forms a ball and starts to pull away from the edges of the bowl





  • Remove the bowl from the mixer and coat the ball of dough in oil
  • Cover and let rise for at least 1 hour






  • Punch down the risen dough and let rest for a few minutes







  • Separate the dough into uniform balls and place in the pan.








  • Let rise until doubled
  • Bake at 375F until toothpick comes out clean ~ 20 minutes






  • Serve hot (though also good cold)






Cost: 


Sweet Potato 0.75
Yeast 0.66
Sugar 0.08
Butter 0.5
eggs 0.5
Flour 1.03

3.52 .15 c each

No comments:

Post a Comment