February 21, 2011

Washboard Cookies


After The Puffies last Saturday I was still in the mood to make cookies. I wanted something dairy free that I could share with my sister, and that I wouldn't feel too guilty about sharing with the 2 year old as well. This recipe was posted by a 90 year old who enjoyed these as a childhood treat. Wow! I love history, so this piqued my interest.

These are plain but satisfying, similar to shortbread. They'd be great dipped in chocolate or perhaps topped with cinnamon sugar.


Ingredients:

1/2 cup shortening or softened butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups flour
sugar for topping

Equipment:

Mixer & beater attachment or bowl & spoon
Cookie sheets

Directions:

  • Grease the cookie sheets and preheat oven to 325F





  • Cream the shortening, sugar, and egg





  • Add flour and mix well
  • Use your hands to roll into walnut sized balls




  • Lay on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and flatten with a fork
  • Sprinkle a generous amount of sugar on top
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges just start to crisp



Cost:


shortening 0.50
brown sugar 0.50
flour 0.25
egg 0.12
vanilla/baking powder 0.02

1.39 .06 c each

No comments:

Post a Comment