February 12, 2011

Hazelnut Cups



There's something so pure about little paper cups all lined up, just waiting to be filled. I fell in love with this picture. I think the gradiation gives it some character, though after my photography class this morning I can tell the lighting is all wrong. I haven't had much time to practice the photo techniques I learned, but I see a lot of things that need improvement. My main changes today are: 1) these pictures were taken with Mr. V's iphone since my camera is giving me trouble; 2) I only used the flash once; 3) I only cropped one photo. Typically I use the flash and edit every single photo even if only to crop it.




With a combination of the 2 year old's surgery Monday morning, our Lord's day keeping tomorrow, and Mr. V's no-S diet; I decided to make this years Valentine's treat a little early. Chocolate is always appropriate...I received some incredible Russian chocolates from Mr. V and returned the favor with these little treasures.




Ingredients: yields 12 small cups


Cups:
1/2 cup chocolate chips - the mini's melt quicker
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil

Filling:
1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
2 tablespoons coffee liquor
1 teaspoon white sugar
4 tablespoons Nutella


Equipment:

Mixer with whisk
12 paper candy or mini-cupcake liners
small microwaveable bowl
spoons


Directions:
  • Combine the chocolate chips / oil in the microwaveable bowl 








  • microwave at 60% power in 15 second increments - stirring after each 15 seconds until melted





  •  Coat the inside of each paper cup with chocolate (about 2 teaspoons per cup) then let them set in the fridge for at least 5 minutes. I used a cookie pan to make the fridge transfer easier.






  •  Whip the cream, sugar and coffee liquor until stiff peaks form. Then at a medium speed, beat in the Nutella. Also, fold in any chocolate leftover from the cups.




  •  Spoon or pipe the filling into the chocolate cups. 






  • Peel the paper off the cups, garnish & serve. You could also garnish with a dollop of whipped cream, a sprig of mint, some heart-shaped red-hots, or...well anything really.





Cost:  ~ $0.16 per cup

chocolate chips 0.62
heavy cream 0.75
coffee liquor 0.05
Nutella 0.50
sugar 0.02
oil 0.01

1.95

No comments:

Post a Comment