February 28, 2011

Mayonnaise Biscuits



You may have noticed the lack of posts lately....two weeks lately. My card-reader stopped working, and it was just so unmotivating to write posts without pictures. For the most part I kept up with the mixing challenge despite the lack of posts (I missed a couple days last week while I was nasty sick), so I'll be trying to catch up one extra post a day for the next couple weeks. In going through my photos it does appear that I forgot some crucial photos of the finished product, so bear with me if you will. I'll probably make these recipes again at some point and will update accordingly. Or you could make them, and send me the pictures....That's a fantastic idea, really!

Last week, right before I took a sick-break, I made mayonnaise. From scratch! REALLY easy, super cheap, and a lot less frightening than what store-bought mayo must be made of because this goes bad rather quickly. Today was day 6 and it's not recommended you keep it longer than 7 days, so I've been trying to finish it up. Ah la, Mayonnaise Biscuits. Only 3 ingredients, easy, and fun to customize.


 Ingredients: yields about 24 biscuits


2 cups self-rising flour (or 2 cups all purp. flour w/ 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon baking powder)
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons mayonnaise


Equipment:

Mixer with beater attachment or bowl & fork
Cookie sheet(s)
Spoon


Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 400 and lightly grease baking sheets
  • Mix together all ingredients on low until lumps are gone (at the last minute I threw in some Parmesan and dried chives)
  • Drop spoonfuls onto the baking sheet
  • Bake for 12-14 minutes (until lightly browned and sound hollow when tapped)


Tips & Variations

  • Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once.
  • Add Parmesan & Chives, or Cheddar & Garlic, or a little cinnamon & top with jam
Cost:




Mayo 0.19


Flour 0.30


Milk 0.17



0.66
less than $.03 each

























No comments:

Post a Comment